Welcome to the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) Universal Literacy (ULit) Reading Coach application site!
Applications are now being accepted for the Teacher Assigned Universal Literacy Reading Coach position for the 2019-2020 school year.
(Current Cohort 1, 2, and 3 Universal Literacy reading coaches should now complete an application for next year [choose "re-appointment"]. The due date for this is Friday, May 10th, 2019 by 4:00 P.M.)
Please be sure to read the current posting/job description in full before beginning your application: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/careers/job-opportunities/contentdetails/teacher-assigned-vacancy-no-5-ulit-reading-coach-2019-2020-reposted
(Note that while the posting has changing "posted" and "deadline" dates, we will continue to hire on a rolling basis until all positions have been filled.)
Important items to note - Please read carefully:
- Currently, you must be a tenured employee of the NYCDOE to be hired for this position. You may still apply if you are not tenured or if you would be an external candidate. We will update this page and notify potential applicants if this situation changes.
- Your tenure must be in connection with one of the following New York State teaching certificates:
- Early Childhood Education (birth-grade 2)
- Childhood Education (Common Branch) (grades 1-6)
- Literacy (birth-grade 6)
- Students with Disabilities (birth-grade 2)
- Students with Disabilities (grades 1-6)
- English to Speakers of other Languages (all grades) (includes bilingual)
- Speech and Language Disabilities (all grades)
- If you started an application before Sunday, April 28th, 2019, you will be required to begin again as this year's application is different from what you completed or have been completing. The only exception is if you see that your application is currently in one of two -stages: “HOLD – Interview (for 2017-2018)” or “HOLD – Hiring Pool (for 2017-2018).” We will be in touch with you shortly if that is the case.
- To be considered for a position, you must have five years of experience teaching in grades kindergarten to second, ideally with coaching experience. You also must have been rated by the NYCDOE in the past two years either satisfactory or effective/highly effective.
- You will be able to list your top three preferences for borough assignment and we will do our best to honor them. You will always be able to turn down an assignment by not accepting an offer.
- Coaches support schools in different configurations - one coach for one school, one coach for two schools, one coach for three to five schools, and two coaches for one school. The configuration is determined by multiple factors and is specific to each school.
- You should be available for summer training if you apply: Monday, July 8th to Friday, July 26th - Weekdays from 9:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. on Manhattan's Upper East Side. (Per session staff development rate will be paid.)
- You will be asked on the application to disclose any prior issues you have had involving alleged or proven charges filed against you at any point in your employment with the NYCDOE. Failure to disclose with subsequent discovery of such charges will result in the voiding of your application.
- If you are offered a position as a reading coach and then accept, you will be required to secure a release from the position by the Initiative Director if you decide you want to accept a different offer/position within the NYCDOE.
These were held in May in Manhattan and in June in Brooklyn. A webinar may also be scheduled. Please check back for details.
Thank you so much for your interest in the Universal Literacy Initiative and our collective work in making sure all of our students are reading at grade level by the end of second grade!
(Last updated: Sunday, June 30th, 2019)