Welcome to the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) Universal Literacy (ULIT) Reading Coach application site!
Applications are now being accepted for the Teacher Assigned Universal Literacy Reading Coach position for the 2018-2019 school year.
(Current reading coaches should not yet complete an application for next year until you receive specific instructions. - Update for Monday, May 21st - You may now complete your re-appointment survey!)
Please be sure to read the job posting in full before beginning your application.
Link to current posting - Position Posting/Job Description (9/1 to 11/15/18)
Monday, August 27th - We are still accepting applications even though summer training has taken place. Make-up sessions will be scheduled for anything missed. IN ADDITION, WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING CANDIDATES WHO DO NOT YET WORK FOR THE NEW YORK CITY DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION AS WELL AS NYCDOE EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT YET HAVE TENURE! See the position posting/job description above for more information!
Note that NYCDOE employees will need release from their current principals at this time so only apply if this is a possibility. All external applications are most welcome!
Important items to note: (As of Monday, July 9th, you no longer have to be a NYCDOE employee to apply or be a NYCDOE employee who already is tenured. We know the posting does not make this clear but it is the case now.)
- If you started an application after July 2017, you will be required to begin again as this year's application is different from what you completed or have been completing.
- Currently you must be a teacher employed with the NYCDOE who is tenured in connection with either an early childhood education (birth-grade 2) or childhood education (common branch) (grades 1-6) New York State teaching certificate to apply.
- Tenure under a special education or bilingual license/extension may be acceptable. Please apply and your application will be reviewed accordingly.
- You must have five years experience teaching in grades kindergarten to second, ideally with coaching experience. You also must have been rated in the past two years either satisfactory or effective/highly effective.
- You will be able to list your top three preferences for district assignment and we will do our best to honor them. You will always be able to turn down an assignment by not accepting an offer.
- Coaches support schools in different configurations - one coach for one school, one coach for two schools, one coach for five schools, and two coaches for one school. The configuration is determined by multiple factors and is specific to each school.
- Positions will be available in most if not all City local community school districts (1 to 32).
- You should be available for summer training if you apply: Monday, July 9th to Friday, July 27th - Weekdays from 9:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. in mid-town Manhattan. (Per session staff development rate will be paid.)
- You will be asked on the application to disclose any prior issues you have had involving alleged or proven charges filed against you at any point in your employment with the NYCDOE. Failure to disclose with subsequent discovery of such charges will result in the voiding of your application.
- If you are offered a position as a reading coach and then accept, you will be required to secure a release from the position by the Initiative Director if you decide you want to accept a different offer/position within the DOE.
- Those looking to apply for an Instructional Specialist opening should not apply here. Once that posting is available, we will direct you on how to apply for that position.
We will be holding special events in all five boroughs in April, May, and June where candidates can learn more about this position.
Manhattan - Tuesday, April 24th
Queens - Thursday, April 26th
Staten Island - Friday, April 27th
Brooklyn - Tuesday, May 8th
Bronx - Thursday, May 10th
All boroughs (Brooklyn location) - Tuesday, May 29th
Link for registration - https://reg.abcsignup.com/reg/event_page.aspx?ek=0035-0011-b70e40d144d14460821041341c239405
An additional in-person session and/or webinar may be scheduled. Please check back soon!
Our Supervisory Position!
We are now accepting applications for our supervisory position. See the job description Position Posting/Job Description - Instructional Specialist for Primary Grades Literacy for the instructional specialist for primary grades literacy position and apply via this link: http://schools.nyc.gov/Careers/Eas.htm.
(Last updated: Thursday, September 27th, 2018)